Visiting your dentist regularly is one surefire way to maintain good oral health.
When was the last time you visited one of our Portage, MI, general dentists Dr. Keith Wester and Dr. Jennifer Sarantos for a routine checkup? If it’s been more than six months since your last visit it’s high time that you made your oral health a top priority and booked your next appointment. After all, these preventive dental visits could end up saving you time and money.
What is preventive dentistry?
As you probably already guessed, preventive dentistry is necessary for keeping mouths healthy and happy throughout a person’s life. Since oral hygiene can also impact your overall health, it’s crucial that you also provide your teeth and gums with the same attentive care that you would the rest of your body. Preventive care includes,
- Brushing your teeth twice a day
- Flossing at least once a day
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Avoiding sugar and acidic foods
- Limiting alcohol consumption
- Quitting smoking
- Wear a mouthguard when playing sports
- Visiting your Portage, MI, dentist twice a year for checkups
- Wearing a nightguard if you grind your teeth at night
During these professional six-month checkups with your dentist, you’ll receive,
- A comprehensive oral exam
- Oral cancer screening
- Teeth cleaning
- Routine X-rays (imaging tests usually occur only once a year)
Why are preventive dental checkups so important?
Adopting smile-friendly habits early on in life will serve you well for the future of your oral and general health. After all, most dental problems such as cavities and gum disease are preventable with proper care. Just by visiting a dentist twice a year you can enjoy these wonderful smile benefits,
- Reduced risk for gum disease and decay
- Early detection and intervention of common dental issues
- Fresh breath and a whiter smile
- Early detection of oral cancer
Wester Dental Care in Portage, MI, wants to make sure that patients of all ages living in and around Portage, MI, get the preventive dentistry they need to protect against cavities, gum disease and other issues. If you need to schedule your next dental cleaning then call us at (269) 327-1119.